Welcome to our Behavioural Activation
Discover behavioural activation and how it can be used to help depression by stimulating our interest in day-to-day activities.
- What is depression and how is it different to normal mood variation?
- What is the relationship between mood and behaviour?
- What is behavioural activation (BA) and how does it work for depression?
- What is the evidence that BA works?
- Can BA work for different age ranges and cultures?
Watch our short intro video to learn more about our BA learning resources from Masuma.
Our learning resource is for anyone interested in helping others with brief psychological interventions. Members of the public, educators, mental health and social care professionals, and community workers will find them beneficial.
Our BA learning is divided into three sections:
1: An introduction to depression
2: The relationship between depression and behaviour
3: Behavioural activation for depression
Use these learning resources alongside our face-to-face training or work independently through the training resources at your own pace.
Alternatively, you can access this content via our short Future Learn introductory level course developed in partnership with colleagues at the University of York. This provides a more scheduled and guided approach to the content over a three week period.
The learning resources will help you to:
- Discuss the key features of depression and how depression may present in different people.
- Understand how low mood drives behaviour and how behaviour can influence low mood.
- Explain what behavioural activation is and how it works to help depression.
- Apply the basic principles of behavioural activation to case scenarios that represent people’s experiences of depression.
- Identify the evidence for the effectiveness of behavioural activation for different age ranges and cultures.
The learning resources include optional tasks and exercises for you to try. These are designed to enhance your learning, you are welcome to spend as much or as little time as you want engaging with materials.
Let’s get started
Watch the promo video for the Future Learn introductory level course